Breakfast Casserole and Wedding Bells

The morning after any wedding is usually pretty tough. Back before Anni came along, it usually consisted of a lingering taste of cheap wine and sore dancing feet. This morning, however, it is a lingering case of heartburn (I know, I know), and sore shoulders from carrying around a 20 pound child all night. My brother's wedding was beautiful, and they were surrounded by friends and family who love them deeply. We had fun being with family, eating good food, and I even got to see my parents dance--a first for me! The bride rode in on her beautiful horse, and my brother walked in to the theme from Game of Thrones. We all got a kick out of that. 
The menu was southern food at it's finest (or most cliche, perhaps): pulled pork sandwiches, mac and cheese, coleslaw, sweet tea. The mac and cheese was smoked in a smoker, much liked baked mac. It tasted great, but no different than regular baked mac and cheese. I'll have to look up a recipe for it and see what I can do about that, maybe. The cakes were wonderful. My mom found a lady who bakes cakes for certain people, and she ordered a Milky Way cake and a red velvet. They were delicious!  

The Newlyweds

My parents
   A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into the set up of the whole thing, that's for sure. My parents really worked hard to make sure the property was perfect for the wedding. Anni and I stayed the night before to help my mom with errands and set up, and I volunteered to make a breakfast casserole for the morning of the wedding. I come from a big family, all with an even bigger appetite, so what I do know about cooking for my family is that a dish needs to be a few things: quick, easy, hearty, meaty, and abundant. This casserole is all that, and then some. Bear in mind that I made this to serve my big family and a few very hungry boys, so this recipe may be halved. So, without further adue, let us begin. 
The main star, topped with strawberry fig preserves.
1 lb mild sausage
1 can crescent rolls
2 c shredded cheddar
2 c hash browns, thawed
12 medium eggs
1 to 2 teaspoons dill
salt and pepper to taste


First, brown the sausage and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain (I did this step the night before.) Spray a 9x13 dish with non-stick cooking spray. Roll out the crescents into the bottom of the pan, and press the seams together. Pour the sausage on top of the crescents. Beat together eggs, salt, pepper, dill. Fold in cheese and thawed hashbrowns. Pour the mixture over the sausage. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to one hour-- just until it is golden and bubbly. Top with jam or preserves of your choice! 

That's it for this week! I have no clue what I'm doing next week, so if you have any suggestions, leave a comment! Ya'll have a great week!

Love and Cornbread, 
Amber


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Grandma's Skillet Blog Design by Ipietoon