Tomato Pie, or, Things are Better When They Fall Apart

Happy Saturday, ya'll! Wow, another week has flown by already, and here we are, almost at the end of October. This marks Anniston's seventh month. Seven months of lightening-fast learning, seven months of diapers, seven months of kisses, seven months of cuddles. My how time flies! 
So, this week I've made a southern, classic: tomato pie. I've never had one before, but I decided I would attempt it. I adapted this recipe from a couple different ones, the main one being a Mississippi cook book. Those, and church cook books are always the best ones. They're filled with the old family heirloom recipes. This particular pie had great flavor, but something went wrong and it fell apart on me. It was quite disappointing, actually. I guess that is why I started this blog, so that I could learn how to cook! After all, Mamma always said things just taste better when they fall apart. hmm.
It turned out a bit sloppier than I wanted, but I'm quite proud of myself for assembling an entire pie with a 20 pound baby in my arm! (not in one of those fancy slings, either. although, mine is on the way. it's back ordered, darnit.) In order to keep it together, I probably should have cooked it a little bit longer. I became impatient and took it out early. I'm guilty of that on more than one occasion.  Also, I forgot to salt my tomatos while they were resting on the paper towels. That would have drawn some excess moisture out. So, don't do what I do. Also, don't burn your bacon like I did. I mean, who burns bacon? 
You can use green onions instead of vidalia onions, and you could add some to the mayo mixture as well. Use as much or as little bacon and cheese as you like. I found that I needed a bit more bacon than the recipe called for. Pre-cook your pie crust, but only a tiny little while. I over cooked mine at first and I think that's what set it up to burn in the second stage of cooking. And here's the most important tip I can give: use Blue Plate mayo. None of that other crap. In the beginning, God created Blue Plate, and He saw that it was good. 
Pre-cooked pie crust. Notice the burn spots? 
Lay out the tomatoes.
First, slice your tomatoes. You'll need 3 medium size, or 4 small. I used 4 small and had a few slices left over. Lay out your slices on a paper towel lined cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, and cover with another paper towel.

While you're doing that, go ahead and start pre-cooking your pie crust, bacon, and onions. Cook the onions in the bacon drippings. If you're using green onions, skip this step. When the pie crust is done, pre-heat the oven to 350. 

Ok, here's the meat of the recipe: 

9 inch pie crust
3 medium or 4 small tomatoes
2 cups grated cheddar
Small vidalia onion or chopped green onions
4-5 slices of bacon. 
1 cup Blue Plate Mayo
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Basil

Start with a layer of grated cheese into pre-cooked pie crust. On top of that, add a layer of tomatoes. Sprinkle with pepper, basil, garlic powder to taste. Add to that a layer of bacon and onions. Top with a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat layering process. 
In a separate bowl, combine mayo, basil, pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and green onions if you're using them. Spread mayo mixture on top of pie. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let the pie rest for 15 minutes--it's going to be hard to resist that bubbling pie, but trust me, that puppy needs its rest. Serve as a main course with a side salad, or as a side dish. It would also make a wonderful brunch entree, as it reminded me of an eggless quiche. 
Layering. I love that deep red!

The sloppy, delicious monster. 

Well, that's it, folks. After my pie fell apart along with my pride, I'm treating myself to a bloomin' onion at the steak house tonight. See ya'll next week! 

Love and Cornbread, 
Amber

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Grandma's Skillet Blog Design by Ipietoon