Pinterest Test #1: Pumpkin Spice Cake!

Ahh, Fall in Mississippi. The 80 degree days. The 50 degree days. It is rare that we ever actually have a true fall. Usually, the temperature fluctuates to either end of the scale until winter hits in full force some time in January. Many times, I've found myself kind of creating my own fall with pumpkin picking, fall festivals, and of course, pumpkin spice anything!

Now that November has hit, we are in the holiday hustle as I call it. We will be going non-stop until next year with parties, activities, shopping, cooking--oh, the cooking! Last year, I cooked so much that my poor pregnant self had to call in to work the next day! Well, I'm not letting that happen this year. I am going to simplify everything. I'm planning to finish everything ahead of schedule this year-- we are taking Christmas pictures this weekend, and I vow to be done shopping by Cyber Monday!

In the spirit of simplifying, I have tested out a Pinterest recipe that I'm sure if you have spent any time on the site, you've noticed floating around: the "two ingredient pumpkin spice cake!" It was actually three ingredients, and delicious! What really makes it, though, is the delectable buttercream icing--to which I added cinnamon and nutmeg. This cake was so simple and quick, I had to keep checking myself to ensure that I didn't miss a step!

All you need for the cake is three eggs, one can of pumpkin puree, and one box of spice cake mix. For the frosting: 4 ounces of cream cheese, teaspoon each of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, two cups of powdered sugar, 1/3 cup of cold butter, and a tablespoon of milk. That's seriously how simple this is. I was terrified to try this frosting, because the last time I tried to make buttercream, it literally melted. But this time, I figured out where I went wrong: I used room temperature butter and cream cheese. So, make sure your ingredients are COLD, but not hard. Just barely softened. For the cake, be sure not to over-cook it or it will become dry quickly, and grease your pan very well with either butter and flower, or cooking spray. I originally wanted to make this a two-tier cake, but I'm glad I didn't because the cake and frosting would not have held up. So be sure to do this in a sheet cake pan or 9x13 dish.

I totally cheated on my diet for this. Worth it.

For the cake: 
3 eggs
1 can pumpkin puree
1 box spice cake mix

For the frosting: 
4 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tblsp milk

Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease pan with butter and dust flower on top. Mix together eggs, pumpkin, and cake mix. Pour into baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting it.

For the frosting: 
Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and blend together. Mix in milk. Refrigerate until ready to use. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Grandma's Skillet Blog Design by Ipietoon