Getting Fresh (Salsa)

Happy Saturday! Today marks a special occasion, the end of an era: my little brother, Taylor, is getting married! I can't believe we're already here! It seems like just yesterday I was pouring mud down his pants and yelling at him to get out of my room.
Both of my brothers--Taylor is on the left.
I wish him and his fiance Maddie lots of happiness, hugs, and love. I know they are both excited to begin this new journey together! Their nuptials will be held on my parents' land, down in the "holler" as we call it, the same place we held mine. It's so beautiful down there! It seriously looks like a fairy glen! 
From my wedding--was I lying? Gorgeous. (Thanks Mom and Dad)

 I plan to have a bonus post tomorrow, consisting of the breakfast casserole I will be fixing for all of us who are helping with the wedding.  For today, I have decided to share a fresh salsa recipe with ya'll. Anni and I went to the fruit stand early the other morning when it was still cool and only senior citizens were out and about. It was lovely. 

So many pretty tomatoes.
 It makes a whole lot, so I was able to take some down to my Mom's and share it with that whole bunch. Of course, I would have liked to do a canned version, but honestly, canning makes me nervous and I've never done it before, so I'd probably be afraid to eat it. This is one of the few times I've actually used my blender since receiving it at Christmas! I'm super excited! Last time, I used it for hummus. I'll have to share that recipe here one day. This also marks the end of my tomato series, and the end of summer recipes. Betcha didn't know I was doing a "tomato series," did you? 

Loading the blender. It was so pretty! 
A couple notes on this recipe: I omit the jalapenos, but use extra anaheim peppers. Also, make sure to use a food processor to CHOP your veggies. I used my blender and ended up with spicy tomato pulp. But, it's still tasty. To core tomatoes, use a small paring knife and just cut in a circle around the core of the tomato until it just sort of pops out. 

Cored tomato

We'll just call this restuarant style...

 Okay, enough talk. Here's the juice: 

4 lbs tomatoes, cored
1/2 bunch cilantro, or per taste
1 lrg onion
3 garlic cloves
1 lime 
2 anaheim peppers
up to 3 jalapenos, or to taste
1 tblspn season salt
1 tblspn salt
1 tspn chili powder
1 tspn black pepper

Coarsely chop all veggies, removing seeds from peppers. Add garlic and cilantro to food processor and chop finely. Next, add onion, peppers, and chop coarsely. Add tomatoes, juice from one lime, salt, season salt, chili powder, and pepper. Chop to desired chunkiness. Refrigerate until ready to use! Great with tortilla chips, on tacos, atop eggs, crowning steak, you name it! 

See ya'll Sunday! 
Love and cornbread, 
Amber 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Grandma's Skillet Blog Design by Ipietoon